Steingraeber & Söhne KG

Franz Liszt and Eduard Steingraeber

   

1It is unquestionable that the most important piano virtuoso of the 19th century was Franz Liszt (1811-1886). He was brilliant regarding his technical skill on the piano.  Liszt alone had the courage to do something we nowadays take for granted: In 1839, he gave the first public solo piano recital in Europe.

 

1The connection between Franz Liszt and Eduard Steingraeber began in 1846, when the young Eduard Steingraeber worked at the famous piano manufactory of Nannette Streicher in Vienna. Liszt got in contact with Steingraeber, who then became Liszt’s concert service. If Liszt’s grand piano was faulty during a concert, Eduard Steingraeber had to fix the instrument in front of Liszt and the audience to make sure that the event can be continued.

 

After Eduard Steingraeber passed his master craftsman’s examination in 1852, he founded the pianoforte factory Steingraeber Bayreuth. Steingraeber provided grand pianos for Franz Liszt, who also had a great influence on the special quality regarding the construction and tonal richness of every Steingraeber & Söhne grand piano. Certainly, Liszt induced the Steingraeber piano manufacturer Eduard and George to create new soundscapes, which still have an incredibly modern sound. Many world-class pianists, such as Daniel Barenboim, appreciate the sound of a Steingraeber instrument.

 

1Today there are still traces of Liszt in Bayreuth, for example the Liszt Museum, a little mausoleum and, of course, the Steingraeber House: Franz Liszt often played in the Rococo Room, where the original Liszt grand piano of 1873 still exists. There, he played together with friends and colleagues and held public recitals. Nowadays, there are still concerts played on the Liszt grand piano. In July 1886, the pianoforte manufactury Steingraeber supplied Franz Liszt with a grand piano model 205 (today C-212), production no. 4328 – Liszt’s last Steingraeber instrument, which you can also see in the Steingraeber House. This instrument served as reference to the current special grand piano model “C-212 Liszt”. 

     

By the way: parts of the Steingraeber logo are extracted from Franz Liszt’s ‘Bagatelle sans tonalité’ from 1885. Steingraeber & Söhne donated the restored handwriting to the Weimar Classics Foundation.

 


More Information

Steingraeber & Söhne KG Friedrichstraße 2 und Steingraeberpassage 1 95444 Bayreuth
E-Mail:steingraeber[at]steingraeber.de Tel.-Nr. 0049(0)921-64049 Fax: 0049(0)921-58272
Klavierhaus Öffnungszeiten: Mo-Fr 10-18 Uhr, Sa 10-14 Uhr